Thursday, April 28, 2011

A woman, dangerous magic, and an unavoidable battle

fantasy girl
When I think about everything my characters have been through in Cursed with Power, I realize that the rejections I read almost daily are not at all comparable.  Today I decided I would talk about the aspects in CWP that are... shall we say extraordinary?

From the post title, you can probably already determine that what I am mainly focusing on is the battle that is foreshadowed, mentioned, and shown in CWP.  The idea of magicians fighting one another was not anything new; good vs. evil has always been a common theme in various fantasy books.  For me, I felt like I needed to change things up to make them unique and different from other books.  It came across to me that the fighting could not simply be between good and Dark magicians.  Instead, each time Celestria fought there was more and more evidence that magicians were not fighting for any principle.  They were fighting simply because of their blood lust and their desire for power.
What really made the battles more intriguing for me to write was the fact that Celestria tried to avoid other magicians.  It did not take long for her to come to the conclusion that a majority of people wanted her dead --not to mention that most of them were magicians.  You might even recall Alaire ordering Celestria to leave behind her staff and other belongings (in chapter 11) because they wanted to avoid further outbreaks of violence.
I'll admit that both Alaire and Celestria had their close to death experiences, but between the two I'm not sure who I could say was damaged more severely.  During the time Celestria was with him, Alaire seemed to be the one in constant pain.  (Poor guy, I put him through so much).

Anyways, I know I've been rambling and to be honest I partially forgot where I was going with this.  Just remember, no matter how much you put your characters through they have no choice but to eventually forgive you.
Read book one of the Magicians series....

Cursed with Power


"There's a lot that I want." He said. He smirked as he said it like he knew he was pushing my patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment