Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Unexpected Love


When I first started Cursed with Power I thought there wouldn't be any romance involved.  Celestria's relationship with Adam was over --the distance between them kept it that way.  How was it romance came into the story, then?  Well in case you were ever curious, I'll enlighten you.


Originally I had a very brief image in my head of a romantic relationship that could begin in Cursed with Power, but it wasn't that image that ended up on paper.  Instead, it was a different kind of relationship that wasn't so much focused on love, but rather more so on friendship.  Even so, I was amazed at how quickly romance could still jump onto the pages before my eyes.  (I make it sound like it all happened fast.  Psh, I wish it had been that easy).  Love is a strange thing to incorporate in a book.  Personally, I just always find it as an interesting experience because the love your character is involved in is not often something that you can relate to.
Celestria and I had our first connection because of Adam.  Though there's no clear evidence about how she feels for Adam, her mentioning of "scars" in the prologue of the book was only the beginning of allowing readers to see the heartbreak Celestria experienced.  I was inspired to give her this dark past with how the relationship ended by a past relationship of my own, though I cannot say ours were alike.
I think it wasn't until Alaire came into the story that he changed around everything.  For me, Alaire was that beam of light that the book needed.  Something new, something interesting, and for once maybe someone Celestria could stay with.  I am not going to say anything about Celestria and Alaire's relationship in great detail (for those of you who haven't read the book, I'm purposely not for you), but I will say that their encounter with one another changed a lot in CWP.  There didn't seem to be anybody for Celestria to care about until Alaire came along, and when he did it was both challenging and intriguing to unravel how they could interact with one another.
Some writers say they rather stay away from romance --they want to focus on the wonders, the fantasies, the mysteries in their story.  Celestria's story doesn't focus on romance, but in the end I am pleased with the decisions I made.  And even though Celestria's heart was broken and she lost a great many people she loved, did she not find others later on?  


I do care about you, Alaire.
Perhaps we can only infer from Celestria's account of events.  Nonetheless, when I say romance was added into the book I do quite honestly mean that there is love even though no one actually admits to any feelings of such.
Coming next: Remember, that you can still request excerpts from Cursed with Power.  And the "questions" section of this blog is getting awfully quiet --ask away anything you like.  I'm going to try to post more this week, but we'll have to see if I find the time.  You've probably had enough of my rambling for one night, so until then I have writing to do and you... eh, who knows.  Good night all.



"There's a lot that I want." He said. He smirked as he said it like he knew he was pushing my patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment