Sunday, July 24, 2011

Revision of: Great Evils, chapter 1

Great Evils
Cursed with Power
For those of you who have read Cursed with Power, it's most likely you made it past chapter one.  You might be wondering what I can possibly be talking about at this point when the chapter is done.  Let's make it brief then, shall we?

"Great Evils" is the first chapter in Cursed with Power that originally seemed to "tell" instead of "show."  The original version of the chapter actually had a biography feel to it.  Celestria narrated past events that had already occurred --Dyanna's leaving, Aunt Ilena's death, etc.  When I rewrote the entire book it changed to Celestria walking through her house having flashbacks of what happened, but all the same it felt too... too dull.
A few nights ago something finally clicked.  In the new revision I've brought together the flashbacks, and instead of Celestria walking through the house and grieving over her sister's absence she lives it.  She tells an account of the story from how it happened.  When the second chapter, "Dark meets Light," comes about it has been three weeks since Dyanna left for the battle she never returned from.

There you have it, and I decided while I'm working on New Life I will also be posting about originals and "official" versions of chapters from Cursed with Power.  Later this week I'll hopefully be sharing chapter two of New Life with you.  Until then, head over to read the new revision of "Great Evils" and let me know what you think.

"There's a lot that I want." He said. He smirked as he said it like he knew he was pushing my patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment