Thursday, July 28, 2011

The story behind Alaire

For those of you who have read through chapter eight of Cursed with Power, you may recognize this name: Alaire Sencler.  Even if you haven't met him, don't worry there's never spoilers and we're solely talking about how he came into the story.

In the first draft of Cursed with Power Alaire was not in the story.  Not once.  I discovered this for myself the other day.  To be honest, I was horrified when I realized he wasn't in the story.  Mind you it was a first draft, but I felt the story was lonely without him.
I do remember how Alaire entered into the novel, however.  I was working on a fighting scene and in my mind I couldn't think of a realistic way for Celestria to live.  I had to decide who could save her; Leal, who at that time already left, could come "out of the blue" and rescue her or... A new character.  You already know by now what I chose.
Alaire discovered Celestria in a way that no one else could.  He listened to her secrets, he offered her comfort, and he expressed feelings for her.
This picture is property of: michellemonique of DeviantArt

By this point you're thinking, "Yadayada, when did this turn into a love story?"  It's not.  Alaire and Celestria have a unique relationship in the book, and that's why now I just can't imagine the story without him.  Ultimately, the connection I made with Celestria would not have happened if it had not been for Alaire.
"There's a lot that I want." He said. He smirked as he said it like he knew he was pushing my patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment