Saturday, December 18, 2010

Answering a question: "Who is..."

Question: Who is your favorite character to write in CWP?


Asked by: Tessa Faith at Witty Writer


It took me a while to decide on an answer to this question.  Honestly I think every author is asked who their favorite character is in their book.  You will find with me, my answer is not the main character.
I know it sounds strange that Celestria not be my favorite character, since I have spent the most time with her.  However, there is a lot I purposely put into Celestria's character that leaves everyone --perhaps even me--with mixed feelings about her.  The first two names that came to mind for favorite character were Leal and Alaire.
At first it is difficult to decide between the two.  While I have not worked with Leal for a long time, I still had a certain amount of time I spent with him.  I love both Alaire and Leal's strange and dark sense of humor.  I think in the end I would have to say Leal is my favorite.  He was the first male Dark magician I worked on, and instantly I decided he should be funny, handsome, and merciless.  What made him my favorite, however, I would have to say would be the way he acted with Celestria.  They are both complete opposites from one another, yet they know they need one another.  Each time he was involved in Celestria's dreams I felt I was being pulled closer to him.  When Celestria said she was denying how much she truly liked him, I felt as if I could understand.  He is charming and has this way of talking about evil.
I myself am not a very funny person.  I mean, we all would like to think we're funny, but I'll admit I cannot be very funny when I try to purposely be that way.  It's difficult to let readers see Leal's humor when I have to come up with attempts of humor, but all in all no one has complained about his character.
He has become a favorite for readers, which surprised me because I thought I would be the only one who found an interest in his character.  There were are a lot of readers who were bothered when he left in the book, and to this very moment they continue to wonder when he will return.
While there is a bond growing between Alaire and Celestria, what I love more is that there is a stronger bond growing between Celestria and Leal during the time they are apart from one another.
"There's a lot that I want." He said. He smirked as he said it like he knew he was pushing my patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment