Saturday, January 15, 2011

Answering a question: "What was the..."

Question: What was the very first thing that you thought of for CWP? 
Asked by: Tessa Faith


I think the very first thought I had for Cursed with Power was finding a way that all five of the Dark magicians could be connected to one another.
By this I mean that I wanted the magicians to relate with one another in a way that no one would expect.  It wasn't simply "Celestria meets Leal and she likes him"; it was more like "Celestria meets Leal and has feelings for him, but she's going to push him away and his return will be unknown by the reader."  The main bond between all five Dark magicians in this series altogether has always been very complicated.  From the very start I spent hours upon hours writing out different ideas and theories on how the main five magicians were evil, how their pasts related to one another, and how ultimately in the end everyone would actually be concerned about them.
Now mind you Celestria has not interacted with with all of the other four Dark magicians, there is still hope she might.  Originally in Cursed with Power, Celestria was not supposed to meet Leal or Alaire.  However, since she met Alaire she found out that he had connections with Leal.  Once again there we are left to wonder who was this Esmour character that Leal and Alaire worked for, and why he was evidently such a cold and heartless man.
Relationships are not just only an aspect of this book that I work on because it adds reality and emotion to the characters.  It is something I keep working on because it has always been essential to the way the plot works out.  Without interaction amongst the main characters, I imagine the readers would lose any respect they gained for Celestria and the person she is.
"There's a lot that I want." He said. He smirked as he said it like he knew he was pushing my patience.

1 comment: