Thursday, January 20, 2011

The worst character yet

It shouldn't come as any surprise that even writers create characters in their stories that they dislike...perhaps even hate.  I hadn't hated anyone in Cursed with Power yet until Japhet came into the story.  I'll admit before I suppose the character I hated most was Aldemund, but Japhet... He is far worst.
The main reason I feel like killing him off in the book so often is because in chapter 25 he screwed up how the chapter went along.  Or rather I screwed up, but I blamed him.  (Yes, we writers are a bit crazy and we accuse fictional characters for our own mistakes.)  His character isn't complex or even all that involved in the storyline, but after I finished chapter 25 it became evident that he and I would continue to have problems until the end of the book.  He's not even a major lead character, but it's what he and I went through before I could start on chapter 26 that has bothered me to no end.  Of course I'm not going to kill off Japhet for my own bias reasons, but rest assured knowing that the thought is always in the back of my mind.
I suppose what I mean is just that I surprised myself with finding this burning hatred toward a character who I haven't written that much about.
"There's a lot that I want." He said. He smirked as he said it like he knew he was pushing my patience.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, there are characters *cough Seth Edwards cough* I wish I could do horrible things to.
    But my best friend has a crush on him, so I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's why we're the writers. Sometimes you just have to do what YOU feel is right, even if someone is entirely bothered by it. Alas we cannot please everyone.

    ReplyDelete